Some Facts About Hydrogen
Hydrogen is Clean and Safe
2. Hydrogen fuel can be produced with zero air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions using renewable energy like sun, wind, hydro and geothermal to separate hydrogen from water by water electrolysis.
3. When hydrogen is made on-site from water and using a renewable energy source (solar, wind, etc.) no fossil fuels are involved.
4. Hydrogen is the lightest gas known and is non-toxic, non-poisonous and will not create ground water or other pollution. Any leaks are diluted up and away.
5. One kilogram of hydrogen fuel is the energy equivalent to one gallon of gasoline, yet in a fuel cell vehicle it affords the range of approximately 2.2 gallons of gasoline.
6. Fuel cell vehicles are exceeding 400 miles on a single H2 filling.
7. Hydrogen is a major industrial commodity that has been used in various industries for more than 100 years.
Who Makes Hydrogen Vehicles?
Daimler, General Motors, Honda and Toyota all have Hydrogen vehicles available in the United States and are looking to expand their production.
How Do I Get a Hydrogen Vehicle?
Several automotive original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) are building and placing hydrogen fuel cell vehicles into service. Companies like Daimler, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai-Kia, Toyota and Volkswagen are all actively pursuing hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. General Motors and Honda have active lease programs for select customers in the United States. Interested drivers should contact the automotive OEMs directly for information on leasing hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
How Do I Fill a Hydrogen Vehicle?
Hydrogen vehicles can be filled using a dispenser and standardized hydrogen hose and nozzle. This filling procedue takes approximately the same amount of time as a standard gasoline vehicle.
Is There a Hydrogen Home Fueling Option?
Yes, SunHydro's partner, Proton OnSite (protononsite.com), is currently developing a home unit that will be market available in the near future. Upon availability, consumers can purchase these units, which will include turnkey installation with solar/wind (http://www.sunhydro.com/services.html).